Pages

Saturday, November 5, 2011

EXPLANATIONS (EXCUSES)

Okay, so as you can all imagine I've fallen into that pit of blog procrastination. But here's the thing:
It isn't my fault. 


Bet you didn't expect that one.


No, in reality it's entirely my fault. It's not like I'm somewhere interesting that doesn't have internet. There haven't been power outages, or wars, or earthquakes (however right now as I type this it seems like you guys should be able to practically hear the intense wind going on. It's been raining for a week now, and the people of the South hate that. It's impeccably beautiful 355 days of the year, but whenever it's not that's all they talk about.) Anyway, nothing too special is going on. And honestly, I find myself on the computer a lot, because my family isn't very active. By that I mean they don't really have hobbies or activities that they do on a routine basis; they don't go out on the weekends, they don't do any sports--sea or mountain--and by golly my host brother doesn't seem to do anything at all! But it's not my job to criticize anybody's lifestyle, just simply to observe. I'm just happy to be here! Heck I bet my life in VT would seem pretty boring to someone from, say,  Brasil (I've heard some stories)...


Anyway, I'm straining a little to try to break out of routine (my host family is definitely okay with me going out, so at least that's available.) And they're really adorable, I get along well with them, so there's no need to conflict on the fact that they live on a beautiful hill overlooking a beautiful sea, and they probably just don't want to take the effort of going down the scary switchbacks all the time to get anywhere


Ensuite, sorry I haven't been living up to my hopes and dreams on the video front. Basically here's what happened: my camera broke... 


Yeah, it was a great camera. Here's what happened. A few years ago I had the same camera, the Casio V7, which apparently has a glitch with the lens system that makes it very susceptible to bump and falls. It fell onto the floor, and stopped working. Well I loved it so much that bought another identical one. What naïvité!
Well the other day I was holding it in one hand and trying to tie up the blinds with the other hand (stupid) and it fell literally just six inches onto a wooden table, in, might I add, not one, but two cases; fleece inside neoprene. 
De toute facon,  I got the "red screen of death." 
Well here's the last picture I took with my belove casio: (at least it was pretty!)


And I think I was a little spoiled by that camera, because I hadn't realized how awesome it was! Since, I've bought, tried, and returned about three cameras just because of little details that weren't apparent like: the camera takes HD VIDEOS (wow) but did we mention only for 34 seconds? Yeah it was annoying. I also bought an underwater video camera and then realized that the season for that was completely over and I wouldn't be scuba diving or windsurfing or anything again until the very end of my exchange. So I returned it. Because I'd rather have the money now than hold onto the camcorder. Because everything here is expensive. Like art supplies!
(just for reference that =$125)

Anyway, what happened after that? Well my super duper logiciel (that's french for computer solitaire... uh, I mean, computer program) stopped working very well. This may be temporary, I'm trying to figure out how to optimize my computer so that It'll run well. Anways, the long and short and medium and average of it is that I have TONS of material (really, gigabytes worth of random stuff) to piece together, but I haven't yet gotten a chance to do that. So I'm working on it. It takes a lot of time. Like making crepes, which I have to go eat now. That part doesn't take long. Okay I'll be right back. (Dontcha love these real time blogs! It's like live television, but more intelligent and less entertaining!) 
Speaking of which...

OH NON!!!! (Imagine that with a french accent) Okay, so I stand corrected. The power just went out. And I barely have any batter left, so I'm going to finish this post....now! Because it just came back on again! Hooray! I love developed electrical grids mostly dependent on nuclear energy! Woot woot! Oh speaking of electricity, every time I plug my computer into the adapter in the electrical socket I get sparks. And occasionally I bump it and it makes scary hissing noises. So fun. Except that I live in a place that, unlike for the last few days, gets very little rain. Hence the signage:
So I should really pay attention. I've actually already seen a small forest fire here. 


But basically, my message is don't worry. I've got so many interesting (well that's up to you to decide) bits and pieces of tomfoolery to share with you. Hopefully I'll get this up and running with the frequency that I'd prefer. Until then, I'll stick to my habit of promising things and then putting them off to go eat food, and thus I will close this blog/sort of excuse rant. Next up on the list: Paris. And after that: the WORLD MWAHAHAHAHA. 
If the world means school starting again I guess. And believe me, is that a strange world. 




One thing my new cheap camera does well: macro! I call the photo above Mario Macro for obvious reasons. 




Affectionately,
Will

No comments:

Post a Comment